- From an early age I was aware of the magic of drawing and how I could create an illusion on a piece of paper of a person, place or thing. My early years were spent on a farm in Central California. I loved being around farm animals and playing endless hours outdoors. I was born as the fifth child in a family of six children.
- When my father passed away just before my sixth birthday my world changed dramatically. We moved to the Bay area and I lived with different relatives throughout my childhood. Drawing became a refuge at times and gave me a sense of accomplishment and pride. As a young adult I was drawn to watercolor as my primary medium. In those early years I focused primarily on still life and portrait painting. I was married at a young age and raised three children while earning a BFA in drawing from CCAC in Oakland California in 1987. I spent ten years sculpting clay, wood carving and painting for the amusement park industry but my true passion remained in the fine art of painting. I decided to go back to school to get my degree in Dental Hygiene to help support my family but my passion for painting remained strong and my time was divided between work and creating art.
- In 2006 I began working in oils on linen and fell in love with the qualities that oil paint had to offer. It gave me the ability to layer with glazing techniques or paint more thickly to create textures in a more impressionistic style while maintaining a realistic approach to landscape painting. I began to spend more time painting the landscape out doors in plein air and in 2012 joined a plein air painting group MBPAPA and later CCPAP and the California Art Club. I feel very blessed that I grew up with so much beauty around me and to have so much diversity of subject matter on the Central Coast where the mountains are so close to the seashore. I have attended numerous workshops to improve my landscape painting and have participated in the Santa Cruz County Open Studio Art Tour for 12 years. This year due to Covid-19, it is an online experience. I no longer keep a studio separate from my home. I have paintings in many private collections and have won numerous awards for my work.
- I am now retired from dental hygiene and am devoting all my time to painting. I divide my time between Corralitos, Calif. and Bend, Oregon now. You can contact me if you are interested in my work. I accept commissions on a case by case basis.
- If there is a particular painting that you are interested in then please contact me and we can arrange a time to get together. Thank you to all who have come to my studio during Open Studios in years past. It has brought me great joy to share with you my love of art. Many patrons have made it possible for me to continue my journey as an artist.
- Giclee' reproductions on canvas are available at reasonable cost as well from selected works on my website.
117 Buzzard Lagoon Rd., Watsonville, CA 95076, USA